Iosco Sportsmen’s Club
General Outdoor Range Rules
Safety is foremost in all activities conducted at our ranges.
Know and obey all range commands
The use of ECI’s (Empty Chamber Indicators) are required at all times on the range. Do not handle any firearm when people are downrange. Do not shoot if any individual is forward of the firing line.
Shoot only at authorized targets. No ground targets (bottles, cans, personal steel plates, etc) are permitted. Pin paper targets to the backers – not the wood frames.
Eye and Hearing protection are required. All individuals must have adequate eye and hearing protection while using the ranges.
No Shooting before 9am. Shooting will stop one half hour before sunset.
No alcohol or controlled substances will be permitted on the range. Prescribed medications that may cause drowsiness or impair mental awareness are also not permitted.
Minor children, 17 years of age and younger must be accompanied by an adult parent or guardian. No children under the age of 6 will be allowed on the range.
Range officers are in charge of all operations on the range. Any individual not following the Range Officers commands or instructions, or following good firearm safety, will be asked to leave the premises.
In the absence of a Range Officer, individuals will adhere to these safety rules and coordinate with other shooters to ensure safety.
It is the responsibility of the individual to know how to load and operate their firearm in a safe manner.
Firearm loading capacity will be determined by the special event or competition you are involved in.
During Sight-In-Days, firearms may be loaded with one round at a time only unless special permission is given by the Range Officer to function test the firearm.
Remember Good Firearm Safety!
NRA’s TEN RULES OF SAFE GUN HANDLING
- Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
- Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
- Identify your target and what is beyond
- Never point a firearm at anything you do not wish to shoot.
- Ensure the firearm and ammunition is used.
- Store firearms and ammunition separately under lock and key, and use trigger locks.
- Always keep the action open (use of “Open Bolt Indicators” are mandatory on ISC ranges) except when preparing to shoot and always keep your finger off the trigger except when firing.
- Never climb a fence, tree, stand or jump a ditch without unloading your firearm.
- Never shoot at a flat, hard surface or water.
- Avoid alcohol or drugs before or during hunting and shooting.